The Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDB) is a multilateral development bank that finances business and development activities in Latin America and the Caribbean. It has 48 member countries within and outside the region, and is made up of the IDB, which finances public sector projects, and IDB Invest which provides financing to the private sector.
The IDB Group has a mission to improve the quality of life in Latin America and the Caribbean, and it has the power to support the realization of human rights with its financing. Too often, however, the institution finances projects that lack meaningful participation of local communities, generate conflict, and violate human rights. For this reason, it is important that civil society has the capacity to monitor and influence IDB’s investments and activities.
IDB and IDB Invest are currently revising and updating their social and environmental policy frameworks. The policies adopted by the IDB have a big impact on the region, not only for the communities directly impacted by IDB investments, but because they influence standards for both the public and private sectors throughout the region. For this reason, civil society groups are demanding a revision process that is transparent, inclusive and participatory and that results in stronger protections for human rights and the environment.
For more information on how to monitor and help shape specific IDB projects, contact Gonzalo Roza, FUNDEPS.
- Research IDB projects (public sector)
- Research IDB Invest projects (private sector)
- File a complaint regarding an IDB-financed project
- Find your country representative on the IDB Board of Executive Directors
- Website for the IDB safeguards review
- Website for the IDB Invest policy review
- Website for the IDB Access to Information Policy review
- Blog on the revision of the IDB Access to Information Policy, Bank Information Center, January 2020
- Recommendations to strengthen the process for the IDB Invest Safeguard review, December 2019
- Comments and Recommendations on IDB Invest’s Access to Information Policy Implementation Guidelines, December 2019
- Recommendations from the Coalition for Human Rights in Development Secretariat on the IDB Invest safeguards policy draft, October 2019
- Collective recommendations on the draft safeguards policy of IDB Invest, October 2019
- Blog: The IDB Invest Policy Review: Why does it matter and how you can engage?, Bank Information Center, September 2019
- Press conference and Public forum organized by civil society during the IDB annual meeting, july 2019
- Letter on the revision and update of the IDB Group safeguards policies, May 2019
- Infografías informativas sobres los proyectos problemáticos del BID Invest, Asociación Ambiente y Sociedad, 2019
- Comments on IDB Invest’s draft access to information policy, September 2018
- Letter to IDB re: Civil society participation spaces, June 2017
- Response from IDB re: Civil society letter on participation spaces, July 2017 (Spanish only)
- Letter to IDB re: Alliance for Prosperity, June 2017 (Spanish only)